Reaching families is a parent-carer led charity established to “empower, inform and support parents and families of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities in West Sussex“.
Despite the pandemic they have continued to offer the same high level of support to families of children and young people with SEND by adapting the services offered.
Details of the support and services they offer is outlined below and can be accessed at
- Making Sense of It All/Making Sense of It All – Parent Guide – A comprehensive handbook for parent-carers covering a wide range of subjects. It is designed to help parents-carers of children with SEND age 0-14 in West Sussex. It can be download as an e-book (Kindle or iBook) .
- Fact Sheets – they have two mini-series of fact sheets on a wide variety of subjects. One series covers specific conditions and practical advice, and one series is specific to Covid-19 and relevant issues.
- Training Workshops – they deliver various workshops each term covering a range of subjects such as behaviour, anxiety, sensory issues, returning to school, EHCPs and reviews. These are all currently being delivered online via Zoom.
- Umbrellas – a popular and very welcoming parent support group currently running weekly via zoom.
- Befriending – they provide telephone befriending to parents who would benefit from the emotional support of a specially trained parent-carer volunteer.
- Counselling -they provide affordable access to emergency telephone counselling for parent-carers struggling with mental health issues. They can offer three sessions at £10 each (£5 for those on work related benefits).
- Facebook – their Facebook support group is the largest in West Sussex with over 3,500 members. It is an excellent way for parents and carers to reach out for peer support and advice and stay up to date with local and national news.
- Training videos and animations can also be accessed through their website.